- Is Holland the Netherlands? Read the answer on this page.
- Which city is the capital of Holland? Amsterdam is the capital of Holland, although the Dutch government is situated in The Hague.
- In which time zone is Holland located? Holland is located in Central European Time (UTC+1) and Central European Summer Time (UTC+2).
- Is Holland located below sea level? About 20% of the country is located below sea level. Another 50% is lying less than one metre above sea level. Because of this the country is called Netherlands, which means ‘low countries’.
- Does Holland have overseas colonies? The Kingdom of the Netherlands has territories in the Caribbean. The Islands Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten are countries within the kingdom and by that dependent on the Netherlands. The Islands Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are special municipalities.
Holland history & culture
- Was Holland involved in World War 2? Holland was invaded by Germany in World War 2, despite being a neutral nation. The Dutch celebrate their freedom yearly on May 5th. Museums about World War 2 can be visited in places like Overloon and Arnhem.
- Do people still wear traditional Dutch clothing? In some villages the Dutch still wear traditional clothing. You can see it in places like Volendam, Staphorst, Urk, Zeeland and Friesland.
- Do people still wear wooden shoes (clogs)? People in agricultural areas sometimes still wear wooden shoes. Other places where you can see Dutch wooden shoes are in touristic villages like Staphorst, Volendam and Marken.
- What are typical Dutch dishes? Read the answer on this page.
- Has Holland a president? No, Holland is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Since April 2013 Willem-Alexander is king of the Netherlands.
- When is King’s Day? King’s Day (Koningsdag) is the birthday of king Willem-Alexander, which is celebrated on April 27th. Unless the 27th is Sunday, then it is celebrated the day before. King’s Day 2014 will be on Saturday April 26th. There will be celebrations all over the country. Concerts, parties and markets in the large cities, but also in villages.
- When is Prinsjesdag? Prinsjesdag (Prince’s Day) is the day that king Willem-Alexander gives a speech from the throne in the Hall of Knights in The Hague. This speech is about the main features of the government for the coming year. Traditionally Prinsjesdag is the third Tuesday of September.
- Is Carnival celebrated in Holland? Carnival is mostly celebrated in North Brabant and Limburg. Those provinces are Catholic regions in the south of the Netherlands. There are Carnival parades, parties and people dress up. During Carnival cities in North Brabant change their name. Carnival 2014 is from March 2nd – 4th.
- What is the Eleven cities tour? The Eleven cities tour (Elfstedentocht) is a 200km skating tour in the province of Friesland. During the tour skaters pass all eleven historical cities of Friesland. The skating tour is on natural ice and will only be held if the entire course has ice of at least 15cm thick. Unfortunately this rarely happens. The last Eleven cities tour was in 1997. Alternatively there is an Eleven cities tour by bicycle. This is held on Whit Monday, which is June 9th in 2014.
- What is the difference between Sinterklaas and Christmas? Read the answer on this page.
More FAQ about Holland with answers will be here soon …